Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Even EVEN more poems!

Still by Abse, the first two are both technically the same poem; Musical Moments 1 and 2.
Musical Moments 1 is also called His Last Piano Lesson (1933). It outwardly appears to be about  child who is bored of learning the piano. This is suggested by the phrase "Numbly bored with scales". The word "numb" describes a lack of feeling, almost a dead sensation, with nothing there, no presence of any sort. The poem continues to imply a sense of music being dead, as suggested by "a coffin of music". This interpretation is supported by the fact that dead people go in coffins, and for death's container being  music summons a very grim image indeed.
As far as links to Larkin go, I can't remember the names of the poems, but I know precisely what poems I'm after. If you are seeing this, I haven't edited in the names of the poems, and you may want to come back in a day or so when I find THOSE SODDING BOOKS.
The song for this poem is the Free N Losh remix of Press Pause by Pretty Lights, it's just too fitting for words.  
















And now for part 2, also called Outside a Graveyard. This IS going to be a happy, I can feel it!
Aaaaaaaaaaand I was wrong. Then again, I might not be. This poem may as well be written in Greek, I can't interpret a damn thing from it. Although the quote that accompanies the poem I do like. It reads "One day, the piano has all the colours of the orchestra; another day, it brings fourth sounds that come from other worlds" -Edwin Fischer
We need more sounds from other worlds. They're different.

2 comments:

  1. If you make separate blog posts for each poem, I can comment on them separately and help you out where you might have found some difficulties in meaning

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to keep up to date with this work. There are 4 more poems set this week and will be 4 more next week. You must ensure you have enough material to draw on in the exam and these posts ensure you have a regular and consistent programme of self study in prep for the exam. Get posting!

    ReplyDelete