I read some of The Handmaid's Tale, and, naturally, I regretted it. I have suitable bags under my eyes to prove that.
Effectively, the impregnated handmaids are now stored (stored seems to be the word that best describes the situation) in almost an encampment in a separate house. The commanders are all in a "hideout"; this practically smells of cigarettes and alcohol, as is seen in near enough any James Bond film where many "gentlemen" are concentrated.
On the topic of books, there is a book called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by a man called Mark Haddon. It's about a boy of 15 years called Christopher Boone. Christopher has Aspergers syndrome, to the point where even small changes in daily routines can spell disater. It caused a fair bit of disquiet in the field of those on the Autistic Spectrum, and the people caring for those on the spectrum. This is down to the fact that Haddon's book provides an extremely narrow, if not inaccurate view of the people who do have Aspergers. Christopher has all of the stereotypical tendencies, but to a degree where such tendencies are blown way out of proportion. As I said a few days ago, Aspergers is caused by the brain functioning in a different way to that of the normal human, with the outcome being extremely variable. For example, I know of/have met people with Aspergers who use it to their advantage (being able to remember certain facts about certain stuff, with me, it's mainly mountain bikes, longboards and dubstep), others who don't like talking to people that much (this doesn't make them nasty, some of the most inspirational and lovely people I know aren't so keen on interacting with people), and, most commonly, there is a very set routine (this is generalizing a little bit, but as a general rule, there is something set in place, ranging from the order that clothing are applied, to how things on a desk are set out).
Christopher is extremely keen on complex mathematics, and ends up sitting an A-Level maths paper early. He gets arrested for hitting a policeman who puts a hand on him (Christopher hates physical contact to the point of lashing around), and, upon release, sets about finding out who killed Wellington, the neighbour's dog.
Unfortunately for Christopher, in the process of trying to help people, he ends up getting misinterpreted, and ends up making people cross.
This is where Haddon understands the nature of Aspergers a little bit. He knows that what people with Aspergers face every day is a world that we do not understand, that doesn't understand us. The thought I want you to take today from reading this is that; if you don't understand something, it's alright really, there's probably a logical solution.
Song for the day - Vancouver Sleep Clinic - Vapour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p3sTork75o)
It's fascinating to read your response to Curious Incident. I have always wondered whether it bears any relation to the real experience. Great reading your blog, btw..
ReplyDelete