Monday, 30 September 2013

I've now learned that everything I've previously read in The Handmaid's Tale is both potentially incorrect, and a reconstruction. Come chapter 23, Offred reveals that she's only just found the means to record stuff that's been happening. She admits that it may be inaccurate, which is, as far as I can tell, fully intentional. An interpretation of this could be that Atwood is trying to show the reader how variable and potentially unreliable human memory is. She uses this to great effect, Offred frequently questions herself, and never seems fully certain about what she remembers.

On another note, It was my birthday the other day, and one of my presents was the sequel to Oryx and Crake; The Year of the Flood.
Admittedly, I've not started it yet, which probably isn't a bad thing, as that would be my A Level in Literature out of the window. I'm left wondering, what books have you anticipated most, and why?

Song of the day: Mechanical Adventures - Aberto

Thought for the day - "They told me it wasn't music... I don't care."

No comments:

Post a Comment