OH GOD, I NEARLY FORGOT
I actually need to write about what I'm reading an class, otherwise this whole thing loses a substantial amount of meaning.
So, I'm reading this book called The Handmaid's Tale, by a Canadian author called Margaret Atwood. It's a dystopian novel, or, as Atwood would have you call it, speculative fiction. In essence, society is extremely patriarchal. That means that men run near enough everything, women have no identity, women cannot own property or have independence. It's a bit like apartheid, but replacing skin colour with gender. I think the best way to describe reading it is with a morbid fascination.
Anyway, that's an overview, I'll probably go into a bit more depth at another stage (when I don't require an external stimulus to make me remember that I needed to write about this book).
Yes. It can be quite hard reading but morbidly fascinating, as you say.
ReplyDelete