Wednesday, 18 September 2013

So.
It's probably worth me explaining myself as to why this blog is in existence.
Put bluntly, this is a means of showing myself (and, so it would seem, the wider world) what I've been reading, along with any plays that I've visited.

Anyhow, enough explaining, I need to get down what I've read recently, and I cannot think of a better place to start than The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks. I warn you now, this book will wreck your afternoon. It's about a fellow around 16-17 years of age, who kills things. More specifically, rabbits and his relatives. He dismisses killing three of his relatives as a "phase". The most notable of these murders, or at least the one that amuses me the most was that of his cousin Esmerelda (who was, if I remember rightly 3-5 years old). At that stage, the protagonist, Frank, was into kites and flying them. His method of eliminating Esmerelda concerned a kite constructed of tent components, and a noose designed for two small wrists. He took Esmerelda and the kite to the edge of his family property (which is on an island off of the coast of England), asked Esmerelda if she wanted a go, put her wrists in the nooses, and set her loose over the North Sea.
That said, he subjected another cousin to a terminal case of death by hiding an adder in his prosthetic leg. I shouldn't have found that as satisfying as I did.
The reason why this book will spoil your afternoon is that, after reading it, you'll think: "... I just read a book, in which multiple people were killed, and I laughed at every fatality... Straight to hell for me."

On a brighter note, there are far happier books out there, but on another darker note, they'll never be as thought provoking as the darker, more sinister books. If you want a good read, I recommend 1984, Oryx and Crake, Brave New World... Stuff like that.
And now for a thought for the day: "If it worked the first time, we'd have significantly less experimentation."
                                                          -Josh Ogden (Me)
And a song for the day: Alpha Centauri - Noisia (Receptor Remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmEf6i9g54

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't reveal the major twist at the end of The Wasp Factory- who Frankie really is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wasp Factory sounds like my cuppa tea.

    ReplyDelete